How does Inactive User Tracking work?
Note: This is only a sample of the main algorithm, which does not include the advanced features.
1) Get date from the local machine.
2) Get the list of Active Directory users from the Domain (via LDAP).
3) Take the first user from the list.
4) “Lastlogon” and “lastlogonTimestamp” attributes are retrieved for this user from each Domain Controller.
5) If the user has never logged in then the createTimestamp attribute is used instead of “Lastlogon” or “lastlogonTimestamp”. If there are multiple “lastlogonTimestamp” values, the most recent one is used.
6) Inactivity time is calculated using “createTimestamp”, “Lastlogon” or “lastlogonTimestamp” and the local machines date/time to determine number of days.
7) If a user matches the inactivity criteria you have specified then they will be added to the list of users who are considered inactive and acted upon according to the configuration.
8) Steps 4-7 are repeated for each user in the list.