The error “The report server cannot decrypt the symmetrical key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database” appears when trying to access SQL SRS Advanced Reporting.
This issue occurs when encryption keys used to access report server got corrupted and the server cannot decrypt the symmetrical key.
To resolve the issue you will need to restore the corrupted keys or remove them:
- Click Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server -> Configuration Tools -> Reporting Services Configuration Manager .
- Connect to your RS server.
- Select Encryption Keys from the left pane.
- Press the Delete button to get rid of your encrypted content, or press the Restore button if you have a backup.
After performing these steps, you will need to re-set the connection strings and stored credentials in the product report settings.
- Run Netwrix Auditor.
- In the left pane navigate to Managed Objects -> <your_Managed_object> -> <your_target_system> -> Reports.
- In the right pane switch to Report Settings tab.
- Specify settings (SQL instance, Report Server URLs and credentials) to connect to the SQL database and click Apply.
Make a backup of the encryption keys after performing these steps.