After Applying the Microsoft (October 2012) patches/Updates, SQL reporting services wasn’t able to start and the below error is displayed when you try to start the service:
One of the Updates released on that date is KB 2716440 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2716440 which resolves a vulnerability in SQL server.
This issue could occur because of a missing registry key and a common solution to this problem is to add this key as follows:
- Open Regedit on the problematic server.
- Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControl
- In the Right Pane create the following Key (If not already created)
- Value: DWORD (32-bit)
- Name: ServicesPipeTimeout
- Value Data, Click Decimal and type 60000 (No less than 60000 is recommended)
- Reboot the server