You are getting the following warnings in summary reports:
- “Warning Failed to process DC: xxxxxxx.domain.local. The error is: Failed to connect to remote service control manager. Error details: The RPC server is unavailable.”
- “Failed to open the event log. Error details: The RPC server is unavailable.”
Common causes of RPC errors include:
- Errors resolving a DNS or NetBIOS name.
- The RPC service or related services may not be running.
- Problems with network connectivity.
- File and printer sharing is not enabled.
Common issues and solutions for the “RPC server is unavailable” error:
- The remote computer may be blocked by the firewall.
Solution: Configure firewall policies.
NOTE: If you are using Windows firewall, open the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in (gpedit.msc) to edit the Group Policy object (GPO) that is used to manage Windows Firewall settings in your organization.
Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Network Connections -> Windows Firewall, and then open either Domain Profile or Standard Profile, depending on which profile you are using.
Enable the following exceptions: Allow Remote Administration Exception and Allow File and Printer Sharing Exception.
- Hostname or IP address is incorrect or the remote computer is shutdown.
- The Windows Management Instrumentation service is not running on the remote computer.
- The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is not running.
- The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is not running on the remote computer.
To check that machine is reachable, perform the following steps:
- Log on the computer where Netwrix Auditor is installed using Netwrix data processing account.
- Go to Start -> Run and type eventvwr and click OK.
- Right-click Event Viewer (Local) and select Connect To Another Computer.
- In the Select Computer dialog, type the name of the domain controller reporting the error in the Another Computer entry field. Click OK to connect to the domain controller.
- Select Security log. The list should show you valid events entries.
For more information please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4494.troubleshooting-the-rpc-server-is-unavailable.aspx