Reports and Change Summaries return the “System” value in the “Who Changed” field. Change Summaries and the relevant Session details contain the following warning message:
[WARNING] The Who Changed and When Changed fields in the change report may show incorrect data, because tracing was disabled on the SERVER_NAME during report generation. Tracing is required for the change reporting process, and it has been automatically enabled for future reports.
This is a standard notification sent after the first data collection. The settings will be adjusted automatically after the data collection.
You will also receive this message if the monitored MS SQL Server has been rebooted and the tracing stopped.
Consider the following before applying the procedure below:
- The sysadmin server role must be granted to the data processing account that is going to execute scripts.
- SQL Server is configured to have a default path to its log – “%Program Files%Microsoft SQL ServerMSSQLLOG”.
- If the MS SQL Server logs are not located in the default folder, open the script file “sqlcr_sp.sql” or “sqlcr_sp_2000.sql” and change the path in the line “SET @pathtolog =” to the folder in MS SQL Server before running this scripts against your database.
Perform the follwoing steps to resolve the issue:
- Connect to the problematic server.
- On the computer where Netwrix Auditor is installed, navigate to %Netwrix Auditor install folder%SQL Server Сhange Reporter and copy the “sqlcr_sp.sql” or “sqlcr_sp_2000.sql” (for MS SQL Server 2000) and “sqlcr_startup.sql” script files.
- Run the “sqlcr_sp.sql” or “sqlcr_sp_2000.sql” (for MS SQL Server 2000) script file on your problem server to create the stored procedure with the special settings.
- Run the “sqlcr_startup.sql” script file on your problem server to create the special stored procedure when MS SQL Server restarts
- The special tracing settings will be enabled automatically each time MS SQL Server restarts.
- Wait for the next data collection or launch it manually. To do this, in Netwrix Auditor, navigate to Managed Objects –> your_Managed_Object and click Run.
If the error persists, navigate to the %Netwrix Auditor install folder%SQL Server Сhange ReporterTracing directory, ZIP it and upload to www.netwrix.com/upload.