HTTP Error: 401.2 while trying to open Account Lockout Examiner Help-Desk Portal (installed on Windows 7)
The issue occurs because authentication to the Help-Desk portal fails. Usually it happens beause of invalid authentication settings in Windows 7.
In order to resolve the issue configure Windows authentication.
Step 1: Turn on the Windows Authentication feature:
- Open Control Panel.
- Click Programs and Features and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
- Expand the Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Security node.
- Select the Windows Authentication check box. Click OK to save the changes.
Step 2: Add the Integrated Windows authentication module to IIS Manager (however, this step is usually perfromed automatically after enabling Windows authentication feature)
- Click Start and type Inetmgr in the Start Search box. Click Inetmgr in the Programs list (you can be prompted to specify the administrator’s password).
- In the Connections pane, expand the computer that is running IIS 7.0. Then expand Web Sites and click Default Web Site.
- On the page that opens, double-click Modules.
- In the Actions pane, click Add Native Module.
- In the Add Native Module dialog box select the Windows Authentication Module check box. Click OK to save the changes.
Step 3: Enable WIndows authentication for ALE virtual directory
- Run IIS Manager (Inetmgr)
- In the Connections pane, expand the computer that is running IIS 7.0. Then expand Web Sites – Default Web Site and select ALE virtual directory
- In the central pane under IIS section double-click Authentication
- Highligh Windows authentication and Enable it.
- Disable other types of authentication